Saturday, June 28, 2014

My Garden Vegetable Bake, an Easy Favorite



Today I baked my favorite Garden Vegetable Bake, and Whole Wheat Bran muffins, with carrots, raisins and apple.  Both low calorie and low sugar.  The Veggie Bake is 140 calories a serving, but I alter the Betty Crocker recipe and most always leave out the corn.  So carbs and sugar are less.  The muffin recipe, I alter also, and it comes out about 114 calories.  I love the Garden Veggie bake as I always freeze some for a quick breakfast or lunch. (pop in microwave)  Here is the recipe for the Garden Vegetable Bake.

1/2 cup grated low-fat Parmesan Cheese
1 generous cup of chopped zucchini
Optional:  2/3 Cup whole kernel sweet corn
1 small tomato, chopped 1/2 cup. 
1 medium onion, chopped 1/2 cup
3/4 cup of Bisquick HeartSmart mix
1 cup fat-free skim milk
1/2 cup fat-free eye product or 4 egg whites.  (at times I use one whole egg with the added whites).
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
I often add a dash of Italian Seasoning, and about 1/4 of shredded cheddar cheese, and/or chopped mushrooms.  

1. Heat oven to 400.  Spray 8 or 9 inch square baking dish with cooking spray.  Sprinkle 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese in baking dish. Top with zucchini, tomatoes, onions [corn]. Sprinkle remaining cheese, [add cheddar, if used].
2.  In small bowl, stir and blend remaining ingredients.  Pour over vegetables and cheese.
3.  Bake uncovered for 32 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  [30 minutes in my oven so keep an eye on it.  Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. 
Makes 6 servings.    
Serve with fruit, salad, or avocado, and in my photo, a Bran Muffin.    


~Linda 


No comments: